Visiting PhD Scholarships - Call for Applications!
The Haifa Center for Mediterranean History (HCMH) invites international PhD students to conduct research on a project relating to the history of the Mediterranean, during one or two semesters.
HCMH, which began its work in 2016, promotes the historical study of the pre-modern Mediterranean at the University of Haifa, and aims to connect it to the vibrant international networks of Mediterranean research.
Proposed PhD projects should engage meaningfully with a Mediterranean theme and show relevance to the current historiographical discourse. They will be mentored by a Haifa researcher from one of the Humanities departments, such as History, Maritime Civilizations, Archaeology, Art History, Middle Eastern History, Israel Studies, and Jewish History. For a list of researchers affiliated with the Center click here.
The scholarship criteria are as follows:
- The student is enrolled in a doctoral degree program at a non-Israeli accredited institution of higher education. The scholarship will be open to students from all countries.
- The student has completed their first year of doctoral studies successfully. An approved PhD prospectus is recommended.
Applicants should supply the following documentation:
- Updated CV.
- List of publications (if any).
- Summary of the doctoral research proposal, including the topic and its importance, sources and its expected contribution to the field (2 pages).
- One-page statement of your academic goals during the scholarship period, including the requested dates.
- Two letters of recommendation – must be sent by the referees directly by email.
- One from the Master’s thesis supervisor or from the PhD supervisor
- One from your hosting academic advisor at the University of Haifa.
Please note that this is a competitive scholarship. The HCMH academic committee will evaluate all applications and inform the candidates of their decision. Successful applicants will be granted $4,000 per semester in scholarship funds. No other costs involved will be covered. Shorter stays (two months minimum), including summer visits, may also be proposed.
This is an open call for applications. Every application will be considered upon submission.
Application materials should be emailed to Ms. Shiri Barnhart, HCMH administrator, at email@example.com.